This building is a contemporary addition to an inner city character neighbourhood largely defined by pre 1900 villa homes. Although contemporary in nature the structure has been carefully considered to fit into its environment. Located on a street facing piece of land, the building demarcates a line of two story villas to one side and single story bungalows to the other. It seeks to make visual sense of the differences between these buildings various heights, roof pitches and cladding.
Located on a rear section of an existing property the design maximises the available floor area and roof height available while not contending with rules set out in the District Plan. The building houses a new double garage and workshop on the ground floor and an office, guest bedroom, rumpus room and bathroom on the first floor, with both levels having their own individual access points. Materials used in its construction are tactile and hand built in nature including board formed concrete walls, exposed steel, and vertical stained cedar weatherboards.
Construction of the building is currently underway and heading toward completion which will be followed by the development of the new hard and planted landscape.